Have you ever wondered if you could bake our Smart Oats in the oven? You can! Baked Quinoa Hot Cereal aka Smart Oats makes for a nutritious super-yummy breakfast or snack for the whole family.
- 2 1/2 cups Smart Oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ¾ cups milk of choice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or vanilla powder)
- 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Optional toppings for serving: plain/vanilla yogurt or whipped cream, additional maple syrup or honey for drizzling, and/or additional fresh fruit
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Smart Oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the milk, maple syrup or honey, egg, half of the butter and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
- Reserve about ½ cup of the berries for topping the baked oatmeal, then arrange the remaining berries evenly over the bottom of the baking dish (no need to defrost frozen fruit first). Cover the fruit with the dry oat mixture, then drizzle the wet ingredients over the oats.
- Scatter the remaining berries across the top. Sprinkle some sugar on top if you’d like some extra sweetness and crunch.
- Bake for 42 to 45 minutes, until the top is nice and golden. Remove your baked oatmeal from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on the top before serving.